head and neck cancer

Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: head and neck cancer

Hey Bee No problems and you know it took me a long time to get well. It took me at least 18 months before I could feel as if I could return to work and it has been a long and hard road and yet one that is incredibly rewarding. Just keep chipping away and you will be ok. I still get some brain fog and still struggle physically and with the side effects and yet I relish the fact that I am upright and able to occasional have a moan 🙂 Great chatting to you also. Julie
0 Kudos
Marty1
Occasional Contributor

For everyone in Brisbane there is a Head and Neck Cancer Support Group that meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 6.30pm at the Cancer Council Qld Building in Bowen Hills. I hope you can come along. For who is attending these meetings go to Head and Neck Cancer support Australia on facebook "like" the page and then you will recieve invites to the meetings. Join the conversation and post you thoughts.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Marty1, Thanks for sharing details of the CCQLD/Brisbane Head and Neck Support Group and the Facebook Group with the Cancer Connections community. Do you attend and participate in one or both of those Groups? How do you find the exchange of information and sharing of stories and experiences on Facebook compared to a support community like Cancer Connections? Kind regards, Felix Cancer Connections Coordinator
0 Kudos
Bee_73
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Felix - Wish this was around lost year when I went through treatment. But great to know its there as support for future reference. Thanks for letting me know.
0 Kudos
Marty1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Felix I am the Co-Convenor of both groups. The Facebook site came about as i am trying to not only raise awareness for H & N in OZ I am also trying to develop a full list of Head and Neck Cancer Support Groups in Australia. It is becoming a very difficult job. I havent use Cancer Connections much but I have rediscovered it again. It was a conversation about "Chemo Brain". We have had a few posts on the Facebook site from all over the world.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Marty, Fantastic that you are so involved in supporting the Head and Neck cancer community at both an online and a face-to-face level! The 'Chemo Brain' discussion you refer to has been moved to: www.cancerconnections.com.au/content/chemo-brain-new Unfortunately it was originally posted as an 'event' which is now closed. The original post and comments can still be read and responded to via the link above. Kind regards, Felix
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Marty,I've looked at your Facebook group and told others in an Aussie group for Adenoid Cystics about it . I think it's difficult for some to get to groups as most don't live close enough . Still ,if any new Brisbane members join our group I'll dirct them to your page and group .
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Marty , One group on Facebook for head and neck cancers is : Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma -Australia Support . This cancer is mostly a head and neck cancer ,but some have had tumours beginning elsewhere .It is a closed group ,in that what is said is not viewable to the public. It is an online group ,on Facebook but some members have met others . We are planning a get together for March next year ,in Brisbane . The plan is to meet in a different state annually . Whenever I meet other Australians online I always tell them about Cancer Connections too . I use international sites as do some other Australians .
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Marty There appears to be several people trying to get all sorts of things off the ground for head and neck people.
0 Kudos
Marty1
Occasional Contributor

Silly, Thanks for your support. Come along to one of our meetings, see if it suits. Next Meeting is Tuesday 11th June 6.30pm Cancer Council Qld Gregory Terrace Bowen Hills.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.