Hello to Oesophageal Cancer People

Kathyhtak
Contributor

Hello to Oesophageal Cancer People

Just wanted to give a shout out and say hello to other oesophageal cancer people here - hoping you would like to share how you are going etc. I'm Stage IV, it's been 14 months since my diagnosis, I'm currently stable and feeling really well and healthy. I find it interesting that the only oesophageal cancer patient I've actually met in person was through a totally random incident - a lady came up to me in a cafe to admire my hair (which was just growing back after losing it); hers was still very thin and it turned out that she'd had oesophageal cancer. She'd had the operation about 10 years previously, was in her mid 80's and looked fantastic. Good for her! Best wishes to all, whatever stage you are and however you are doing. Would love to hear from anyone who would like to share. : ) Kathy
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
kasianne
Contributor

Re: Hello to Oesophageal Cancer People

Glad to read you are still travelling well and are 14 months past diagnosis. It is now 27 months since my surgery for oesophageal cancer and i have put all my weight back on and feel good. Last check up a couple of weeks ago reported all is well. I have only met on other person with this cancer and his prognosis was not good as it was a re occurrence and it was just under the 5 year mark for him. I met him whilst having chemo and a hi again when I had undergone my surgery and to be fair we both looked really bad. In this time I now have shoulder length hair and nobody would ever know I had been so ill and to be fair it all seems a little surreal now. Best wishes to you too and may you continue to remain stable with your condition. Kas
0 Kudos
madmik
Occasional Contributor

Hi I have recently been told i have Esophageal cancer and will be having chemo and radiation therapy. I had surgery a long time ago for pyloric stenosis and had a partial gastrectomy so surgery for me is not really an option. I hope the cancer will be gone after the treatment but i am still scared. It is good to hear from survivors as it makes me feel a bit more positive. Thank you all
0 Kudos
Ros_
New Contributor

Hi, just wanted to add myself as a fellow oesophageal cancer fighter. I'm 48 and stage 4 with lung, adrenal spread. I've also had a good result from the ECF regime but it was hard work. . I had a break for a few months and am now on a 16 week course of (kinder) chemo . Just wanted to say that 14 months post diagnosis, the treatment does not effect my quality of life. Nobody would know that I have cancer , except for my snazzy hairdo. My oncologist suggested that I think of this as a chronic disease that every so often needs treatment. Sure my outlook on life has changed but there is an abundance of good in it.
0 Kudos
madmik
Occasional Contributor

Nice to hear from you and I am glad you are travelling well. I have now finished my chemo and radiation, I was very ill with the chemo and was in ICU for about a month. I am now sporting a cool hairdo (according to my two boys) and my last biopsy showed no cancer and a lot of scar tissue. You are so right about the changes to everyday life and I am pleased to be gaining my weight back, slowly. I was diagnosed in July and am fully aware of the long road ahead, I have another biopsy in late January. I have been told that my cancer has a habit of returning and so I take each day as it comes and am grateful for the time I spend with my family. Being a single mum I am keen to get back to work though! Stay well everyone.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Became a member to get support for my husband who has had chemo, radio therapy and a stent inserted into hie oesophagus. Wish to connect with someone with similar experience as we aren't sure if what he is experiencing is normal and need some advice on how to deal with the after effects.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Became a member to get support for my husband who has had chemo, radio therapy and a stent inserted into his oesophagus. Wish to connect with someone with similar experience as we aren't sure if what he is experiencing is normal and need some advice on how to deal with the after effects.
0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Hi all, It's been over a year since I started this thread. Would love to know how others are doing. I am still very well - it's now nearly two and a half years since diagnosis and I am stable. Have been on chemo non-stop during that time (a couple of cycles were delayed due to low wbc and neutraphil counts). Currently on 5FU by IV cannula every Monday. I think I should be getting some sort of 'frequent customer rewards' by now! Actually the reward is that I'm still here. Sadly Ros (above) lost her hard fought battle in April this year. We had become online friends through this and other forums and I miss her support and amazing sense of humor. Anyway, hoping you would like to share how you are going. Best wishes to all. Kathy
0 Kudos
devo
Not applicable

My wife has stage 4 oesophagial cancer, mets in liver, spine, lung, and lymph nodes around the pancreas, also in hips & shoulder. Very dire prognosis (less than 12 months). She was diagnosed end of July 2015 after 5 months of thinking it was just reflux and being treated with the wrong stuff.. The news shook us like a tsunami. You go through all the emotional states (is it grief?). The first week is pure shock, like hoping that you will wake up from the awful nightmare but you don't. Then next week still shock, sadness, denial etc. At the end of the first month of the diagnosis, i'd say we are accepting of the situation now. It is bad but we are dealing with it. My heart goes out to everyone going through similar situation. My wife has lost 30kg and counting but with Up&Go's (liquid breakfasts), I believe we may be putting the breaks on the weightloss now. Also don't be afraid of chemo. My wife had a big anxiety attack the morning of first chemo, but by the end of the day we were on cloud 9. Take care..
0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Hi Devo, Sorry to hear you and your wife are having to deal with this horrible cancer. Yes it does feel like a nightmare in the beginning, and I definitely went through a stage which can only be described as grieving. Similar to your wife I was treated for reflux for several months before GP sent me for a barium swallow test which showed the tumor. I am very grateful for the support of my partner, who would encourage me through the pre-chemo panic attacks, and he was the only person I could talk to about all my fears. Carers have a tough time too. Take care and I wish you both all the best. Kathy
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.