Hi There, First time for me blogging

Loulou
Occasional Contributor

Hi There, First time for me blogging

Hi Everyone, This is my first time blogging. I was diagnosed with Gallbladder Cancer in August last year, following routine surgery for gallstones. I am told Gallbladder Cancer is uncommon, does anybody know anyone else with it?? I am told it is very aggressive. I have since had liver resection, the abdominal lymph nodes removed,and bile duct removed and reconstructed. I was given a prognosis of 3 months without chemo or 12 months with chemo. So after 5 months of chemotherapy (finished end of February) I am still taking things one day at a time and setting small goals for myself. My scans in March showed they think the cancer had not spread further at this stage, but I do have an 8cm ovarian cyst. Hopefully unrelated. Advised this type of cyst usually not cancerous, so keeping my fingers crossed. I have two teenage kids (16 and 13) who are having a pretty rough time. It still throws me how your whole life can be turned around, physically, emotionally, mentally and financially. I am staying as positive as I can. Hoping for a miracle to happen. Each extra day I get to spend with my family with never be taken for granted again. I haven't used any of these sites before, but I guess as time ticks by I have to admit I am getting scared, and looking for more support. I quit my job last week. I kept hanging on to "when I am better I will go back to work" but I have to accept that this is not my reality for the moment. I have a great family,very supportive, but I want to talk to people who understand where my head is. Hope this isn't too long. LouLou
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
harker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hi There, First time for me blogging

Hi there Loulou I have been posting on this site for a couple of years now and not many days pass without me at least looking around. I agree with you it is wonderful to have somewhere that feels right for writing and sharing what we as cancer sufferers/patients/survivors - or whatever we want to call ourselves - feel or think at any one time. Your post was not too long. H
0 Kudos
Loulou
Occasional Contributor

Thanks H I go to a group support meeting once a month, but sometimes its at odd times of the night, when sleep escapes you, that you need to get something out there. I have been browsing this site for the last couple of nights and can really relate to some of the comments posted on here.
0 Kudos
Allicat
Contributor

Hi Loulou Welcome to the site. Your dragonfly picture is beautiful. Allicat
0 Kudos
mirkir
New Contributor

Hello Loulou ,Thank you all who are able to share their experiences with in this case gallbladder cancer. My wife had her gallbladder removed,part of her liver, stomach and a big part of the colon, lymph nodes and the bile duct removed plus the associated plumbing. And on top of that a ileostomy to deal with. And that happen three weeks ago. Now we looking for chemo and or radiation therapy. We are both past the 70 mark. And did came out of the blue. You have young children Loulou for you and your family is it much harder than for us. This blogging is also new for us. We hope in this time of trial to support each other. I hope to hear how the chemo works, frankly we are not looking forward to it. mirkir
0 Kudos
purpleangels
Contributor

Hi there Lou Lou! I have mentioned two books that helped me immensely with my kids on this site..... One is " when a parent has cancer" Wendy Schlessel Harpham and " How to help children through a parent's serious illness" Kathleen mcCue...... They might help your two young people...... Good luck!! PA
0 Kudos
wombat4
Contributor

you are right Mirkir, about the folks with a young family, hubby included, how do you explain, when My wife of 40yrs was dx with colorectal with liver secondaries, it was difficult, but our sons had been out of the house by then for 8 yrs and were 28 yrs old. The chemo, the travelling to and from, could have been more difficult, adding to the obvious stresses Children have difficulty understanding why. This disease affects not just the one in the family that has it, but all loved ones Good luck with to you and your wife the chemo Mirkir. I hope you are well loulou wombat4
0 Kudos
Loulou
Occasional Contributor

hi all, i haven't been on for a while. i am undergoing radiotherapy and chemotherapy at the moment. this is the first time i have have radiation, and we are now 18 months and 23 days since diagnosed. there are some small tumours that have grown from cancer cells brought to the skin surface from keyhole surgery. these small tumours are trying to grow out through the skin and hopefully the radiation will stop them from growing outwards. they tell me it gets very messy if they break through and grow raw with bleeding pain and infection risk increased. the kids have agreed to some councelling and canteen is also a big help, being able to meet others in the same situation. it is still very hard and we are still taking things 1 day at a time. considering i was only given 12 months tops, i really appreciate each and every extra day. you stop taking stuff for granted. thanks for your support, and good luck mirkir
0 Kudos
Loulou
Occasional Contributor

hi all, i haven't been on for a while. i am undergoing radiotherapy and chemotherapy at the moment. this is the first time i have have radiation, and we are now 18 months and 23 days since diagnosed. there are some small tumours that have grown from cancer cells brought to the skin surface from keyhole surgery. these small tumours are trying to grow out through the skin and hopefully the radiation will stop them from growing outwards. they tell me it gets very messy if they break through and grow raw with bleeding pain and infection risk increased. the kids have agreed to some councelling and canteen is also a big help, being able to meet others in the same situation. it is still very hard and we are still taking things 1 day at a time. considering i was only given 12 months tops, i really appreciate each and every extra day. you stop taking stuff for granted. thanks for your support, and good luck mirkir
0 Kudos
Pete13
New Contributor

Hi Lou lou,WOW. Well I see at least some other going through very similar Ordeals as US! But surprised at the great fact That At least people are getting the FULL Surgery and nodes removed etc. I am so confused on This Cancer As well as wishing to know WHAT to expect Long term My Wife was given 12 months WITH treatment so Reading your post and Dates was seriously ENCOURAGING 🙂 Thank You! I would SO LOVE it if at all Possible You can write again soon and sloe tell US how Things are going. Karen ( My Wife) Also Had several key hole Operations She healed well, And the Major Surgery only included a resection of the Bile Duct.They never went further 😞 All we can Hope as I said Below is They KNOW What there doing! I just posted this in another Post earlier.......> Sorry to read your ordeal Above. My Wife has stage 4 But they found it AFTER removing her GallBladder She also went in for the MAJOR operation you discribed But stopped half way When it was found in Bladder and Lymph node She has started Chemo and has just finished her second dosage Sadly no Radiation will be done for Her unless the other Lymph nodes found on the CAT SCAN can be reduced completely Sad This is a very AGGRESSIVE Cancer And Although spirits are High and She is doing extremely Well! She will be having Chemotherapy for at least 6 months Sad I hate watching her go through all this As you will understand You HOPE and Rely in the Professionals that they got it all right! And I can so Relate to the comment YOU made Regarding Doctors Vagueness! PLEASE can you write again SOON and let us know just how things are going for you there. As so little is known or even documents on this form of CANCER! Cheers Peter
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.