HOW TO DEAL WITH A LOVE ONE'S ANGER?

Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

Re: HOW TO DEAL WITH A LOVE ONE'S ANGER?

Hi Bj067,

my husband is so much better than the person he was on steroids.  Listen my heart breaks for you.  To see that he has selective niceness to who he wants and who he doesn’t isn’t fair to you.  His damn sister should say something to him.  Tell her your at your wits end. She should be telling him how lucky he is to have you. But you need to tell her how you feel, you don’t deserve to be treated poorly when you were giving him your all. Obviously if his sister is coming and going she cannot take care of him 24 /7 .  You really need to let her know how you feel because you don’t deserve this. I had to let my husband know that he was being selective on treating everyone else nice but me! And I am here 100% of the time. That’s where I want to be. You have a kind heart and you obviously love him.  Do you need help maybe she doesn’t know, this is the perfect time for her to step in that he is very lucky to have you. She is also very lucky to have you there taking such great care of her brother. I hope you take my advice because you are a great person with a big heart and a kind soul. If you ever need to talk or for me or me to talk to you please Advice because you are a great person with a big heart and a kind soul. If you ever need to talk to me I need to talk to you please email me tracireneenmahar@Gmail.com please keep me posted and good luck

0 Kudos
Cat1277
Occasional Visitor

Best  advice so far. Thank you so much. I am a wife of a stage 4 colorectal cancer patient. I love my husband so much. But i believed that it is so unfair if i will let him continuously treat me badly,because i am also hurt with his situation. And the pain will be doubled if he will be very cruel to me. Now, i am not hiding my fear and sadness to him. I am telling him what i feel...and fortunately it helped us. 

Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

Hi Cat1277, 

I am so glad even tho it’s  under the worst circumstances we could ever imagine.  I totally get that they have the Cancer, but we are the next in line without the cancer.  It’s weird and I totally get that they take their anger out on the ones they know love them and they love, bc they know we won’t leave them.  But what is more hurtful is to see them be nice to someone else and treat me like a disposable piece of 💩 POOP.  I think I cried many days and nights.  I spoke to one of my husbands friends and he said that he saw a few guys at work, that had seen my husband come in.  That he was sitting and talking to them and cheerful.  I started bawling.  He said what’s the matter Traci.  I said omg he is nice to everyone else but me.  It’s nice to know it selective.  He must hate me!  Steve assured me it wasn’t me, which I’m not sure I was really assured, but went along with it.  He said tell him.  At this time my husband was also on steroids,  which we didn’t know changed his temper quite quickly.  Anyways once the dr’s noticed and weened him off the steroids, I could see him slowly coming back and not as short fused.  Listen we are all scared to argue and upset our loved one who is just diagnosed with cancer.  But we cannot be beaten verbally or emotionally by them and function best for them, our kids, life outside the house and unfortunately we come last and probably allow ourselves a few minutes to have a quick cup of coffee and maybe a quick shower ( no makeup or hair blow out) I have become the quickest hair sleeker backer in the world with wet hair. 😂 haha!  Listen if you don’t speak out they aren’t mind readers.  They are going thru so much are scared and most in pain.  But I will say it again, I will not be treated like 💩 giving all my love and devotion to my husband or anyone.  I am not selectively picking what I will and won’t do for them, so why is my loved one selectively choosing to be nice to everyone but me.  Ya that is not happening anymore.  I have to make clear, once removed from steroids he has been more loving and thankful for me.  We communicate and most of all we love each other.  I wouldn’t change a damn thing, except my husbands diagnosis of course.  But not just the Cancer patient goes thru steps of acceptance, we the caretakers do to.  It’s ok to yell at your spouse or loved one with cancer  when they are treating you like this.  It won’t break them, but actually might wake them up.  I screamed at my husband told him I’m gonna stay at my moms took my keys and left, that obviously I make him so mad/ stressed out and that he treats me like he hates me.  So I will come home take care of him, and if he speaks to me nasty I will leave with a clear piece of mind.  Well that’s when he realized and apologized.  Listen there is no right or wrong way other than treating the ones we love and care for us daily weather we are sick or not like 💩 poop!!!  They deserve the best care, and we can only give them our best when we aren’t beaten down, deflated or or emotionally beaten down.  It’s ok for them to be sad, we are sad about the situation also.  Believe me I will put all my stuff out there, it hasn’t been a cake walk, as a wife, mother and caregiver.  But I love my husband and want him to be cured, I couldn’t picture a life without him.  I think of our three Gorgo kids who deserve to have their dad here watching them grow, marry and help raise our grandchildren as planned.   Life is not easy and it doesn’t come with directions on life 101.  So love today, more than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow.  ❤️

Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jjmichael,  I haven’t seen anymore posts from you.  I hope things have gotten easier on you.  You sound like a very loving husband.  I pray that this New Year is good to you and your wife and family thru sickness and health.  I myself never thought I would be here in this situation, but as most of us don’t.  My husband was diagnosed in June 2019 of Appendix Cancer.  We have just finished his 12 the chemo on Christmas.  He is now having HIPEC surgery January 15, 2020.  I have three kids who love their dad so much, and of course I love my husband and can’t see a day without him.  My heart is broken, to see him be so strong for us.  He doesn’t say anything to me about to much of what he is thinking which kills me.  I am taking minute by minute that’s all I can do.  I really hope you and your family are doing better.  God Bless everyone who has Cancer or a great loving someone to share and care for this loved one with Cancer.  

Lala1

I am so happy to find this group as it deals with the taboo about mean cancer sufferers who makes they love ones suffer - intentionally or not. I cannot believe that the egg shelves, punch bags, mask of being nice and strong for the outside world including doctors and counsellor (yes, I made my partner to have a counsellor and she was so impressed how well he was handling the treatment 🙂 ) are so regular. And what surprise and even more anger I receive when I mention these symptoms because then I am blamed it is only me who is having the problem and complain and being sensitive. It has been over 5 years with full recovery and the anger symptoms got better and stabilised on about 50-60%, but never fully disappeared so my partner was never as before the diagnose. Physically even after life changing surgery he is doing exceptionally well. Before Christmas there was a suspicion for leukaemia and it started all again in full. Only because we truly love and care for each other I did not left him but gave an ultimatum to find a professional doctor for him and myself in order to be able to live together. I found some info on the link below would it help anyone. Stay strong and do not let the cancer to destroy both/all of you. x

https://www.curetoday.com/publications/cure/2012/summer2012/seeing-red-coping-with-anger-during-canc...

Jjmichael
New Contributor

Thank you Traci, my wife passed in March. 

0 Kudos
Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

I am so sorry JjMichael for the loss of your wife.  May you find love and comfort in good friends and family.  My deepest Sympathy.  If of course you need to talk we are all here to help you talk about your loss.  Please take care of yourself and family.  God bless you all

0 Kudos
Colin81
Contributor

Well I sit here rather chastened, I too was 'mean' (her words not mine) to my adoring wife who has suffered me for many years caring for me during these 'illnesses'. It was during my first cancer (colon-rectal) and I too was on steroids, she says that I was mean to her, but doesn't really elaborate, lots of complications, I have apologised many times and it has not occurred again, even though I was on steroids again during my third or forth occasion.  With the first one I'd lost my job (career) so I guess the only people I saw were Dr's no work colleagues, no feed back. I know I was in deep depression, we had many issues to contend with, nothing went easily for us. We bonded more deeply than I can explain.

Many of the events that happened over the preceding years are in a 'chemo fog' and I just don't remember them, but we are exceptionally close and discuss everything in great detail (through the subsequent cancers) and including my physical, mental and emotional state (even now, 18 years later).

Loved her then and love her more now.

She's playing on her tablet in the other room, I think I will go and tell her I love her yet again today.

BJO67
Contributor

Hello Colin81

What a lovely person you are!!

I am glad that my partner became more accepting the last few months of his life.

The anger disappeared and we always told each other how much we loved each other.

He called me his angel and he was my hero.

Miss him everyday

Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

Bj067,  

I am so sorry for your loved ones passing (partner).  Just remember how much he loved you, and you him.  He is with you everyday in your head and in your heart.  You are an amazing angel, it is incredibly hard to care for our loved ones with Cancer.  I totally understand it’s incredibly hard on the person who has Cancer also.  It is just the worst situation to be in, I don’t know anyone who would choose to be in our situation.  God Bless you for being so big hearted.  

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.