Hi wife of pancreatic cancer patient

Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Hi wife of pancreatic cancer patient

Hi Lynne Apologies for taking so long to reply. Have been travelling for checkups etc... :) If you are looking at coming to aus it might be worth checking what clinical trials are available and see if you can participate. Or perhaps your oncologist could appeal to the pharmaceutical company and perhaps get it free. Can you email me with the pancan address please? How did you get on with your appointment? Julie
0 Kudos
loveandheal
Not applicable

This is the first time I've been on this site, so please excuse me as i'm still trying to find my way around. My partner was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer with multiple liver metastises xmas 2005. He wasn't offered any conventional treatment because the oncologist didn't beleive it would make any difference. We have researched and tried many complementary therapies, and 5 years later he is still alive and working doing building renovations. The oncologists and doctors openly say they can't understand why he is still alive. I have worked as a carer in a palliative care unit for the last four years, so have a lot of exposure to sickness, but its different when its someone you love dearly. Our biggest problem really is that the cancer has caused pancreatitis, which is really really painful. This is causing more damage to the pancreas and puts him in hospital on morphine and a drip as he cant eat or drink anything until the attack passes. We make vegetable juices 2x daily, as they are easy to digest and are full of vitamins and minerals, and we are now vegetarians (well I do sneak out and have a steak now and then!) I have lots of information on alternate therapies if anyone is interested. Currently my partner is on IV Vit C which really boosts his energy levels, and he injects himself with a mistletoe extract 2x weekly. Our longterm aim is for him to heal and us to set up a retreat in the countryside of Southwest Aust - a place of healing, peace and positivity! If I could give anyone any advice it would be this: don't panic, never regard cancer as a death sentence because many people do heal, trust your bodies innate ability to heal itself, be proactive in your treatment, ask questions, research, so you feel like you still are in control of your life and use your mind to help you heal - visualise yourself as healthy everyday. Your mind controls your body!. Some-one once said: there is no such thing as false hope, only goals we didn't reach. ALWAYS BELIEVE IN HEALING. Sorry, I didn't intend to write a book! I am really passionate about giving people hope because often the oncology environment isn't very hopeful. I would love to hear from others if I haven't scared you all off!! Rebecca
0 Kudos
Kristella
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I am new to this board, and not sure how it works. My boyfriend has just been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and it has spread to his liver. They say it is Stage 4 and Agressive. He is 31. He had a Whipples Procedure a week ago, so still in hospital for another few weeks, hoping to get out before Christmas. They say they will try chemo, but not sure what that will do. Should I be asking what kind of chemo's he is getting; as in the drug names you have all said above; are they chemos? I am just so lost and in shock. I am so grateful we have the time now together. It's good to read others have kept on surviving. I am so lost.
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Hi Kristella I would strongly suggest that you ring the Cancer Helpline 13 11 20 and speak to one of the nurses. They will be able to answer your questions about the chemotherapy and provide you with lots of information. Regards Sailor
0 Kudos
Vicki_Anne
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rebecca, Thank you for your great post. I have Oesophageal cancer ( not very common) with liver mets as well. So have had radiation and now going through chemo. I love reading post like yours as it gives me a huge injection of hope. I try to be upbeat and positive most days, but the side effects of chemo take its toll. only about 4 weeks to go hopefully. I cant take vitamin c tabs as they are very acidic and irritate the oesophagus to point everything hurts going down again. Kiwi fruit I found the same. Do you have any ideas on something else. I am happy to try all the vegetable juices. I am going to put the line you have in your post ALWAYS BELIEVE IN HEALING everywhere I can see it. Thank you Cheers Vicki You never know the effect the ripples have when you reach out to someone.
0 Kudos
sylph
New Contributor

Hi Kristella, I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend's diagnosis. My Mum had the Whipple's procedure when she was first diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I know it's difficult to see your loved one in so much pain and so weak. I'd encourage you to follow Sailor's advice, as well as to ask as many questions to the Oncologist. We always went in with a list on a notebook, and recorded the answers because some days we were too in shock to remember the small details later. (like changing chemo routines) It helped me to know exactly what was to happen to her. But, it's not for everybody as too much information can be frightening. *hugs* Keep us updated. You're not alone in this.
0 Kudos
Kristella
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for everyones help and su pport. Just a quick update, after 6 weeks in hospital he is out! Chemo starts in 3 weeks will post ahain soon. Thank you all again. Has been so hard, but I am thankful for everyday. Happy New Year to all. I am on a phone now so hard to type all ups and downs, but never been more thankful to have my loved one home.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi all I will be keeping an online diary. Check out my latest posts. I will share all of the findings and my own opinion as well as our experience with pancreatic cancer. I will post about; - latest medical works, studies, news on PC - conventional treatments - potential cause in our particular case - alternative treatments that I think may work (will be very selective here as there is a lot of mumbo jumbo stuff that is simply not worth a try. - will write about diet and physical exercising - mental discipline and overall attitude All the best to all!
0 Kudos
Kristella
Occasional Contributor

Hello, After Nick's strong battle with Pancreatic Cancer, I lost my fiancee on Tuesday 17th May, 2011. He passed away peacefully at home under the care of myself, his parents and an amazing Pallative Care team. I have lost the love of my life, and not one thing makes sense.
0 Kudos
1Dog1Cat
Occasional Contributor

I'm so, so sorry to hear your very sad news. Big hugs to you and your family right now. What a huge loss. Sadly, my husband Aron also lost his battle on 14 March (after 2 yrs, 4 mths fighting it). He died 1 month before our son turned 2. We were so grateful for the time that we had together until the end - but it still doesn't make up for the tough journey we've all had to go through. And of course we still face another tough journey ahead while we try to keep living our lives without them. I don't know you guys, but I really feel for you and I'm just so sorry... I really hope that his funeral goes OK and that you may feel some peace in the upcoming weeks - just go slow and don't do anything that you're not ready to do yet. One day at a time is how I live at the moment - and some days are definitely better than others. Something else that I have found useful is a book called "Death... and how to survive it" by Kate Boydell (she lost her husband in their 30s and was left with 2 small kids). It's a really great book (I ordered it as an e-book from the UK Book Depository website - they also have worldwide free delivery). She also has a great website that she started for young widows called www.themerrywidow.co.uk. It has heaps of good resources. And the whole point of her book and website is really just to let other young widows and widowers know that we're not alone and others have gone through it too - and what she has found useful. It really has helped me. Best wishes to you and your family - and please stay in touch. Lynne.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.